Job description and employment terms of a new Pianist and Choir Leader
Brookside Kirk Session are looking for an enthusiastic Pianist and Choir Leader who will faithfully work to help see Christ glorified in their church’s worship. The Kirk Session is committed to ensuring God-centred praise in all its services with a good balance of Biblically based traditional and contemporary praise. Praise is from the Psalter, Revised Church Hymnary and Junior Praise books, supplemented with some contemporary praise as approved by the Kirk Session.
In the future we’re looking for a good balance of traditional and contemporary praise to be sung by the choir.
Music in worship is from either the organ or piano at present.
Committed follower of the Lord Jesus Christ and in sympathy with the beliefs and practices of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland.
- A pianist of proven musical ability. (Playing the organ is not essential but being able to play or willing to learn would be an advantage.)
- A capable leader with good communication skills who will be able to command the respect of the choir, maintain its enthusiasm and endeavour to maximise the potential of all its members.
- Playing the piano to a standard which will provide good and fitting accompaniment to congregational praise and the provision of music which is conducive to worship before and after services.
- Responsible for directing and preparing the Choir to lead the praise and to sing an anthem to be sung during the offering at each Sunday service. In choir anthems we’re looking for a good balance of traditional and contemporary praise.
- Arrange and lead rehearsals. (These are usually held on Monday evening from September – April as and when required).
- Encouraging enthusiasm and competence in praise throughout the congregation especially among the youth.
- Encouraging other members of the congregation to use their musical abilities while maintaining always a reverent form of worship.
- Be conversant with the Psalter, Paraphrases and a wide range of traditional and contemporary praise.
- Arrange special music for the Choir, Easter, Harvest and Christmas services.
- Prepare the choir for occasional services in Residential Homes, Mission Halls or in other churches.
- Preparing the PW choir for the PW service.
- Preparing the children’s choir for Children’s Day
- Ensure that the church organ and pianos are properly maintained, tuned and serviced as necessary.
- Co-operate with the minister, who will choose the congregational singings, and IT personnel who also assist with the praise aspect of worship.
- Playing the piano to lead praise at the Midweek Bible Study (if possible).
- To play, if possible, at weddings and funerals.
- Sunday services at 12 noon and every third Sunday at 6:15pm
- Midweek on Wednesdays at 8pm.
- PW service in March
- Choir service in April
- Children’s Day on Brookside double Sunday in June.
- Harvest Services on Brookside double Sunday in October and on the following Monday.
- Christmas Carol Service in evening on Brookside double Sunday before Christmas.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- 4 weeks annual paid leave.
- Arrange appropriate cover during leave.
- Any other holidays by arrangement.
- Initial salary negotiable and it is reviewed annually by the congregational committee.
- An initial 6 month probation period will apply.
- The appointment may be terminated by 2 months notice in writing by either side.
Applicants should forward their CV, along with the names of two referees, to Rev William Moody; Brookside Manse, 309, Galgorm Road, Ahoghill, Ballymena, BT42 1JU (Tel. 028 25871245).
For more information contact Rev William Moody
Download Job Description (PDF)
Download Job Description (.docx)
Click link to open the files in a new window, or right click and "Save file as" to save it onto your own machine