Daily Devotional: Saturday 8th Februaryby William Moody
4 Yet now be strong, O Zerubbabel, declares the LORD. Be strong, O Joshua, son of Jehozadak, the high priest. Be strong, all you people of the land, declares the LORD. Work, for I am with you, declares the LORD of hosts, 5 according to the covenant that I made with you when you came out of Egypt. My Spirit remains in your midst. Fear not. 6 For thus says the LORD of hosts: Yet once more, in a little while, I will shake the heavens and the earth and the sea and the dry land. 7 And I will shake all nations, so that the treasures of all nations shall come in, and I will fill this house with glory, says the LORD of hosts. 8 The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, declares the LORD of hosts. 9 The latter glory of this house shall be greater than the former, says the LORD of hosts. And in this place I will give peace, declares the LORD of hosts.’”
The people are not only encouraged to be strong as they serve God, they are also given reasons why they can be strong.
- God’s presence (v4b) – the Lord had previously stated that he was with the people (1v13) and we this is regularly stated in scripture to reassure God’s servants. (see Joshua 1 v9, Isaiah 43 v2, Matt. 28 v20, Acts 18 v10)
- God’s covenant (v5) – the deliverance from Egypt highlights how the Lord has been faithful to His Word, to His covenant for all these years.
- God’s control over the nations (v6-7) – a fear as to how the other nations will perceive this rebuilding held it back. The exiles who returned were a small group of people in the midst of mighty nations, but they’re reminded that God rules over all these nations who will bring honour into this temple.
- God’s resources (v8) – when Solomon built the temple he was very wealthy and he had the resources of a very successful kingdom. That was certainly not the case for Zerubbabel and the people with him. They personally didn’t have the resources but the Lord had all they needed.
- God’s promise of future glory (v9) – this promise would have future fulfilment through:- a. Herod’s temple (Matthew 24 v1), b. the coming of Christ (John 7 v37-38) and c. the heaven to come (Revelation 7 v9ff)
Are you discouraged, are you feeling weak? If yes, then take time to consider these 5 reasons to be strong.
copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
Used by permission. All rights reserved.