Our congregation was originally part of a union with a Randalstown Burgher congregation (now 2nd Randalstown), and first met in Ahoghill around 1770.
On the 16th May 1774 the Randalstown Church petitioned the Presbytery of Moira and Lisburn for Supply of Sermon. This was granted, with the minister having to preach in Randalstown or Ahoghill.
Rev. William Holmes was installed on 11th January 1775.
Rev. Thomas Smith was ordained on 12th October 1780 but he became involved in the Rebellion of 1798 and emigrated to America in 1799. His resignation ended the union with Randalstown, as the congregations became separate charges.
Various disagreements caused about half of the congregation to leave. This group of Anti-Burghers would later build their own church in the village, and eventually become known as Trinity Presbyterian Church.
Rev. John Marr was ordained and installed on 6th December 1800, his ministry continued for forty-three years until his death on 3rd February 1844. He was buried in his family plot in our grave yard.
Rev. Stewart Fullerton was ordained and installed to what was then known as Third Ahoghill on 7th May 1845, he was removed as minister of the congregation by Synod on 11th August 1857.
Rev. James McClure Abernethy was ordained and installed on 25th March 1858, and after a year of ministry left for service with the Colonial Mission in Australia on 26th April 1859.
The spiritual awakening of the Ulster Revival swept through Ahoghill, with many souls being drawn to Christ and lives transformed.
Church attendance increased dramatically in the village, historians report that “the three Presbyterian churches in Ahoghill are full; and the Second and Third are contemplating large additions to their accommodation.”
Records show thirty-four new communicants were added to our congregation.
Rev. James Alexander Matthews was ordained and installed on 5th October 1960 and remained until 27th April 1971 when he resigned to become minister of First Lurgan.
An extension to the church halls complex was completed and was opened by The Very Rev. Harry Uprichard, then Moderator of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, and minister of neighbouring Ahoghill congregation Trinity.
Rev. William Moody was installed in Brookside on 19th September 2008, and continued the faithful preaching of God’s Word.
For more historical photos of our congregation
visit the 2nd Ahoghill Boys' Brigade website.