Wednesday 13th May 2020Midweek
Let No One Disqualify You
16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. 17 These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. 18 Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions,1 puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind, 19 and not holding fast to the Head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God.
20 If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations—21 “Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch” 22 (referring to things that all perish as they are used)—according to human precepts and teachings? 23 These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.
Or about the things he has seen
Questions to consider
- How do we know which Old Testament laws are relevant
for us today?
- When do people cross the line from faithful obedience to legalism?
- What are the dangers of legalism?
- Does God ever speak outside of the bible today (Hebrews 1 v1-2)? How do we protect ourselves from being led astray by revelations outside the Bible? (v18-19)
- How should we respond to those who insist on us holding a certain position on secondary issues?
- What are some of the ways we can today be living in the shadows rather than the reality of Jesus (v17)?
copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
Used by permission. All rights reserved.