Daily Devotional: Thursday 6th Februaryby William Moody
The People Obey the Lord
12 Then Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, and Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest, with all the remnant of the people, obeyed the voice of the LORD their God, and the words of Haggai the prophet, as the LORD their God had sent him. And the people feared the LORD. 13 Then Haggai, the messenger of the LORD, spoke to the people with the LORD’s message, “I am with you, declares the LORD.” 14 And the LORD stirred up the spirit of Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and the spirit of Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest, and the spirit of all the remnant of the people. And they came and worked on the house of the LORD of hosts, their God, 15 on the twenty-fourth day of the month, in the sixth month, in the second year of Darius the king.
We see some key factors in moving the people to obey and build the temple.
- The Word of God (v12 & 13) – God speaking through Haggai transformed the attitude of the people. God’s word is key in a life of obedience.
- The example of the leaders (v12 & 14) – Zerubbabel the great leader and Joshua the High Priest humbly obey God’s and the people follow.
- The fear of God (v12) – there was a fresh reverence of God that came through the sharing of God’s Word. God grew in thinking
- The presence of God (v13) – the people were aware that God was among them which was both an encouragement and challenge to them.
- The Spirit of God (v14) – the Holy spirit was stirring up people to action, lifting them out of the deadness of sin.
- The fellowship of the people (v14) – the leaders and the people working together encouraged each other to serve.
Pray for the above factors to be present in your life and in your church. Pray for God to increase the reality of the above points among us.
copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
Used by permission. All rights reserved.